What We Do
What We Do:
- David C. Eitrheim, MD Rural Resident Memorial Scholarship - Each year a first year resident enrolled in a Wisconsin residency program who demonstrates an interest and commitment to rural family medicine will be awarded a $10,000 scholarship. The purpose of the award is to help offset expenses incurred with rural rotations and to fund attendance at the AAFP Annual Assembly, as well as help secure the future of family medicine in Wisconsin by encouraging residents to remain in the state to practice. Learn more
- Send a Student to National Conference – This initiative's goal is to grow and develop medical student interest in family medicine by engaging students in pre and post-conference WAFP activities, as well as provide funds for travel, registration and expenses to attend the National Conference of Family Medicine Residents and Medical Students. All this in an effort to support Academy Workforce Development goals. Learn more
- Stethoscopes for Residents – This initiative's goal is to give away at least one stethoscope to a resident at each of WI's 16 Family Medicine Residency Programs during an annual visit to the Program. These visits will include a presentation by WAFP leaders on a topic of the Program's choosing that includes a brief discussion about the benefits of membership as both a resident and an active practicing physician.
- Summer Externship – Each year the Foundation funds a minimum of two students, between their first and second year of medical school, to participate in a unique externship experience. The students will work in multiple settings – rotating between the WAFP/Foundation offices and a clinical setting with a family physician preceptor. Through these settings, students will gain experience in a clinical environment, in leadership development, workforce development, advocacy and philanthropic activities. This project is suspended and start again in 2019.
- Future of Family Medicine Endowment Fund – The Foundation's endowment fund is to grow and be used to provide ongoing support for its initiatives in the future. Since an endowment is a gift in perpetuity, it is designed to be large enough to allow the interest gained on investments to be used for expenditures of special projects while the principal remains untouched (and growing) as additional gifts are received. 100% of endowment donations go directly to the fund -- only investment income is used annually for projects supported by the Foundation on an as needed basis.
Your donation to the WAFP-Foundation will:
- Improve the lives of students, residents, physicians, patients, and communities throughout Wisconsin
- Ensure practicing and future family physicians have the resources they need to continue their education, develop their profession, and give back to the community
- Improve patient outcomes and assist the progress of family medicine
- Invest in the future of family medicine through scientific research efforts
- Support humanitarian aid to disadvantaged communities
- Honor or thank a family physician that has made a difference in your community
Please consider supporting the WAFP-Foundation. We appreciate your generosity and are committed to advancing the practice of family medicine in Wisconsin.
The WAFP-Foundation is dedicated to enhancing the quality of family health care in Wisconsin. We encourage pre-medical and medical students to pursue family medicine, support family medicine students in their education, and raise funds to support WAFP-sponsored education and research projects. We are dedicated to increasing family physician satisfaction, promoting the communal value of family medicine, and bringing attention to disparities in health care by focusing on the passions of family physicians across the state.
The WAFP-Foundation is a 501(c)(3) charity and your donation is tax deductible.